+
a man a part

Friday, October 28, 2005

satisfaction

i like being an editor.

The past week has proved to me once again, that I like what I do. I don't know if what I do in LA will be similar to now, but I really like it when I work on a project with someone and they are really happy with it. It's happened twice this week, which has made me especially appreicative of my work.

Many people say, be proud of you work. I take that to heart, because my art is my work. When I put something together, like Price is Trite commercials, promotional videos, or educational videos, I feel like I'm putting what I like, what i enjoy, out for criticism. If I'm not proud of it, it makes for wishy washy conversations and say nothing compliments.

Early this week I met with a client of mine, I'm making him a promo video for his company--something that can be sent out and put online, and he was very, well, unhappy. It wasn't like, horrible, nasty comments, about my work but sort of dissastisfaction. He wasn't blaming me really, mostly himself, "why didn't i do this" and "i shoulda done it that way"s. But the meeting was helpful for me to understand what he really wanted and what he expected from this video.

So I went back to the drawing board computer. I reworked the whole thing. It didn't even really take that long because I had so much prework done already. I changed the music, changed the tone, and shook it all up. Today, I went and met with him again and showed him the new version [v2]. It was great. Right away he had a criticism, but it was so easy to fix, i didn't even need to write it down. He then proceeded to tell me how much he liked it and used words like awesome and excelent. There were a few other minor things that he wanted to change--they are all very easy fixes.

Yesterday I met with Henderson about the final four videos that he wanted me to polish up. I was a little worried because after I exported the Kuyper video and he told me he didn't really like all my changes. So he now wants to look at the changes before I export them. Well, we looked, and he really liked the changes on the other ones. He had a few more things that he wanted to add--things that I couldn't really have known to do. Now, those are all exporting and I'm free for the day.

Both of these guys made my week. They were so supportive of what I'm doing and gave me the vibe explicitly and implicitly that I do really good work. I'm feelin' good. On top of all this, I get to spend the weekend with my Fiance! How about that! Life is really good.

10 days till departure.

[i'll try and get the promo video online sometime too. when it's all done.]


Posted by jack. | | Email post



Remember Me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.


« Home | desk. » //-->





so is grinnell on your way to california???

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous #  

~Oo°~

Post a comment :

 


 © Blogger Templates 2005 for Blogger