+
a man a part

Thursday, December 30, 2004

two more

Days left in 2004. Soon, writing 2005 will be weird. I watched three movies in the past two days. the first was Aviator a Scorcesse picture with DiCaprio starring as Howard Hughes. I didn't like it. I never really felt any sympathy the Hughes character. It seems like, in today's movies there is a lot of this lesser of two evils stuff. Like Hughes is bad, and hard on people, but the guy who owned Pan Am played by Alec Baldwin, is somehow worse because he controls congress. Both of them are bad, and i don't really feel any sympathy at all for either of them.

The second movie I watched was The Life Aquatic. I didn't think it was going to be in this area until i left for LA, but here it is. It was in Sioux Falls. I liked it. Wes Anderson is a good director. Sometimes though, I wonder about the Wes Anderson effect. Meaning he can put all this crazy stuff in the background and it's funny, because it is, but it doesn't really make sense. I guess, i wonder mostly what genre Anderson would put his own film in. Is it comedy in realism? or is it comedy in Hyper-realism? or is it comedy in some fantastic 70s realism? I liked the movie. and I think Bill Murray is great. But, i'm a little curious about where it fits in. because it doesn't fit exactly, i guess it's not a big deal that it doesn't.

The third was Danny Deckchair. When i rented this movie, the movie store owner said it was awesome. I wouldn't say it was awesome, but it was good. it's weird, how basically because i had never heard of this movie, which is basically a romantic comedy from australia, i was interested in it. I probably wouldn't have watched it if it was made in the US. probably. It was good. entertaining mostly. not extremely deep. the quick synopsis is a guy attaches a bunch of balloons to a folding chair, and takes off, leaving his old life behind, and falls into a new life.

what have i been up to? not much really. i went to sioux city on tuesday to drop of Aunt Beck, and to sioux falls yesterday with ethan. Met up with Dane and watched the movie in sioux falls. ate at the outback. good food. working on my movie a little here and there. making really really final decisions, like, how long should the space be between the end of the film and the credits, or can the first scene be that long and still be good? getting the press kit ready, and hopefully finding some festivals to submit to.

reubs could you send me your address there in canada? i'll send you a copy.


Posted by jack. | | Email post



Remember Me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.


« Home | Manic Monday! » //-->





I saw The Aviator, and I also didn't like it. Like you, I felt like I had no connection to any of the characters. I also felt like it didn't really go anywhere, like it kept building only to end with the "The way of the future..." I kept reading all those good reviews, and I have to say I was disappointed.

Posted by Blogger Liz #  

~Oo°~

Post a comment :

 


 © Blogger Templates 2005 for Blogger